Use of the ABWRET method is required by the Government of Alberta’s Wetland Policy, when Water Act approval is sought and wetlands will be permanently impacted. A strong understanding of the ABWRET-A tool is required at three stages and sign-off points in the Alberta Water Act approval process for wetlands:
- Pre-disturbance Stage as part of the Wetland Assessment & Impact Report (WAIR),
- Restoration Design Stage as part of the Wetland Restoration Plan, and
- Final Verification Stage as part of the Verification Report.
SALMTEC has designed this course to provide participants with a strong understanding of the Alberta Wetland Rapid Evaluation Tool-Actual (ABWRET-A). This course targets an intermediate audience with some experience working in natural sciences. The course is primarily instructed by Dr. Paul Adamus, the creator of the wetland evaluation tool, who lends his voice, experience and knowledge to this intensive online course.
This course has eight learning modules and consists of online, offline and interactive components, as follows:
- One to five online instruction elements per module (25 in total)
- One to five online quizzes per module
- Four offline activities
- One 2.5-hour online interactive class
- One final online exam
This course takes between 21 to 24 hours to complete. You can start immediately upon registration and must finish by the end of December 2024.