GATINEAU, QC, April 22, 2022 /CNW/ - The governments of Canada and Ontario have reached an agreement to support the conservation and recovery of boreal caribou in Ontario.
It includes the following commitments:
- Planning and implementing habitat restoration activities.
- Increasing protection of boreal caribou habitat through protected areas and other effective area-based conservation measures.
- Using evidence-based approaches to manage for self-sustaining local populations.
- Monitoring and reporting on current and projected future population and habitat conditions.
- Collaboration and implementation of conservation measures that are informed by independent experts, Indigenous communities and organizations, and stakeholders.