• Linear feature decommissioning is a top priority for boreal caribou conservation.
• We used camera traps to link large mammals use of forest roads to road attributes.
• Use of forest roads by moose and bears was positively linked to forage availability.
• Use of forest roads by wolves was related to habitat conditions favoring movements.
• Our results could inform road decommissioning efforts to the benefit of caribou.
Stairway to Heaven or Highway to Hell? How Characteristics of Forest Roads Shape their use by Large Mammals in the Boreal Forest